Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on InternetPerformanceTroubleshooting

From: "Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 18:41:25 -0500
Hi Sake,

Not an unreasonable suspicion - in fact, when I used:
http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/
The site suspected a duplex mismatch since my download speed tends to be
less than half of my upload speed.  Many times the upload speed is close
to the advertised rate but I have never been able to get the full
download speed.

Maybe I can double check with the provider on their router - but they
said they already checked everything and the service provider seems
decent.  Still, it's probably worth double checking.

On all my equipment, there are no errors/FCS, drops, out of buffers -
everything is perfect (from an Ethernet stand point anyway).  The newer
stuff is gigabit where the IEEE mandates auto-negotiation in the spec.
The older stuff that's 100 Mbps is hard coded just like you said.

I guess if it were easy there wouldn't be a whole IT profession, eh?
:-)

--Jim