Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on Internet Performance Troubleshooting

From: "Laura Chappell" <lchappell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:13:53 -0800
Jim,

If you can capture on both sides of the firewall with two time synced WS
systems then you can merge the trace files and note the delay at the
firewall.

10% is really high - now it may be that there is packet loss somewhere
upstream (closer to the HTTP server) and it's not your firewall's fault at
all.  When we a high number of lost packets (which, during the file download
will cause duplicate ACKs from the client and retransmissions from the
server) we'll run ping potter or ping path to identify where packet loss may
be occurring - you're kind of comparing apples to oranges, however and may
find your itty bitty pings go flying through while larger packets are
dropped. We have noted a router upstream from us that is dropping packets
through this process, however.

Do you only find the packet loss when the firewall is in place? Have you
tried jacking in outside the firewall to perform the same download? What
latency times are you seeing? If your duplicate ACK count gets really high
(not just up to DUPE ACK #2 or so), then you may look into latency issues as
well.

Laura
lchappell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use and/or dissemination of this
communication in error, please delete all copies of the message and its
attachments and notify the sender immediately.