Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] VoIP compatible Software (Delay?)

From: Sam <scomeng@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 00:56:32 +0000 (GMT)
Thank you for replying, fortunately all the problems have been solved, and now everything is working well!

I have only one question; how do we get the Delay using wireshark for a certain VoIP call?! Thank you again

Lars Ruoff <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

what do you mean with "... the program does not recognize any VoIP calls"?
You don't see any RTP packets?

Note that since RTP is an application layer protocol with dynamic port
assignments, it is not by default decoded in Wireshark,
unless ...

- the capture also contains the signalling traffic setting up the RTP
media streams, i.e. SIP, H.323 or MGCP packets.
- OR you enabled "Try to decode RTP outside conversations" in the RTP
preferences settings. (This is known as heuristic dissection.)
- OR you decode the conversation by hand, i.e. you select a packet and
then "Decode as..." RTP.

br,
Lars Ruoff