Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] What about a Wireshark forum?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:15:11 +0200
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:47:46AM -0600, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> I really see no difference to email  I click on a link just as if I read my
> email.

Well, there is the central point why you don't understand the mail
users: Some of us DON'T click. No mouse interaction required at all to
read mail. Also, with my mailreader I can configure how I want my mails
to be sorted (by date, by thread, ...). With a forum the forum software
decides how things will look at the users machine, and using just a text
interface, forums are sort of inconvenient to read.

> >"No, they are not. Get a good mail client. I handle a couple of hundred
> >mails a day. How I handle that much mail? Well my client supports
> >sorting, scoring and threading so it's no big problem. If I'm not
> >interested in a discussion I just press one key and it's marked as
> >read. If I don't want to read about a specific topic I just hit a couple
> >of keys and I'll never read it a again. I've never seen this features in
> >a web based forum."
>

> That would be a good idea for a forum individual prefferences on what to
> ignore. Also maybe some sort of grouping of topics like a similar topic
> frame hmm.
>
> gmail supports quite a bit of options and I could also use it through any
> mail client I desire I really don't care infact I recently switched from
> yahoo to gmail and I like gmails defacto web interface a lot so far.

I don't read mails via a web interface if I can avoid it - its a *major*
inconvenience.

> >You can do that before sending a mail message, too.  Or do you mean you
> >can *retroactively* edit one of your postings?
>
> retroactive like in fedoraforum.org you can edit your own postings at
> anytime unless it is locked by a moderator.
> fix words so that it is less irritating for other readers. I make a lot of
> grammatic mistakes and reading what i write can be difficult I can't always
> catch it before I type the send button.

Well, how about checking *before* sending a mail? How about using a
spell checker or something similar? Btw, spending time on a typo is a
wast of time. If something is of "permanent" interest, please write a
wiki entry for it. Wiki has a web interface so if you like to use web
interfaces, just go to wiki.wireshark.org and find a good place where to
permanently store that interesting piece of information. Not only that,
but if your wiki entry is interesting, others may enhance it - and
that's something you can't do with interesting forum posts.

 Ciao
     Joerg