Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Writing a custom extension for the Packet Details window.

From: Bard Jason A NPRI <BardJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:24:23 -0400
Title: Message
Hello all,

I have been trying to figure how, if possible, I can write a "module" that will further decode data in a UDP packet for troubleshooting in the Packet Details window.  So rather than the rest of the packet after the User Datagram Protocol being lumped into "Data" which I have to look at in hex, I would have another subtree that would break down the info in the data portion into a more human readable format (the data is binary).  I have something that does this now, but only in Etherpeek, they call them Analysis Modules.  The module was given to me as a dll with no source and I would like to use this for a different project I am on.  I would like to get away from Etherpeek to a more open source solution.

I have seen that there is an experimental project called MATE for Wireshark, but I am not sure if this is what I am looking for.  Can someone steer me in the right direction here?  I think  part of my problem is that I just can't seem to Google the right combination of words to describe this as I am sure that it must exist.  Thanks in advance!

Jason