Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Writing a custom extension for the Packet Details window.

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:49:48 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

The "module" you are refering to is called a "dissector" in Wireshark
lingo. A dissector can come in two forms, either build into the
application itself (well, libwireshark that is) or as a plugin.
On a Win32 platform that would be libwireshark.dll and "protocolname".dll
respectively.

What this dissector will do it register itself as being interested in UDP
traffic (or if possible even more specific, like UDP on port number X) and
once it gets handed a payload, it tries:
1. to determine if its a payload of his protocol, and if so
2. display his interpretation of that payload

There is some explanation and sample code in the Wireshark source tree, to
start with. The doc/ directory has interesting stuff as well, as does the
Wireshark Developer Guide.

Thanx,
Jaap