Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] No TCP traffic

From: "Alan Middlehurst" <amidd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:34:19 +0100
Hi
I am new at using this product so apologies if this is a daft question............

A machine in my office is extremely slow to respond to certain things. I thought I would capture some packets and check out what is going on, when I looked at the capture there is NO TCP traffic. After a few minutes monitoring (just that IP address) there was only 10 packets, which consisted of ARP x 6, NBNS x 2 and SNMP x 2 while I was monitoring I browsed the internet and searched for some files on the network (which all worked, albeit very slowly).

I ran the same sort of test on my machine which came back with 114 packets including TCP and HTTP, I also ran the same thing on another machine next to the first slow one, which also came back with lots of TCP packets.

Now here is the strange part, the machines I have been talking about are all on the same HUB, which are then connected to a switch.

I am just guessing that the slowness is somehow connected to the missing TCP packets??? But why is the machine working????

If anyone could offer suggestions as to what I can try or explain what is happening I would be very grateful

Cheers

Total People aims to prevent the propagation of viruses, but cannot guarantee that this email is virus free.  You are advised to scan all attachments and open them at your own risk.