Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Enhancement suggestion: OUI tool for IPV6 SLAAC addresses

From: "Marco Davids (SIDN)" <marco.davids@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 02:56:52 +0200
Op 30-07-21 om 21:10 schreef João Valverde via Wireshark-dev:

Also, I have not find any aggregate statistics just yet. But nevertheless still happy with this nice feature.

The statistics for SLAAC/OUI don't exist. What I was trying to say is that, if we were to add something like that, I think they should go somewhere under the IPv6 Statistics menu, not Endpoints.

Ah okay. Got you. Thanks.

One final question; I can't seem to do name resolution with thsark on the mac addresses I derive from IPv6 SLAAC addresses.

So I can do this:

tshark -r ~/ipv6.pcap -2 -R 'ipv6.dst_sa_mac' -Tfields -eipv6.dst_sa_mac

or this:

tshark -Y 'ipv6.dst_sa_mac' -Tfields -eipv6.dst_sa_mac

And that results in a nice list of MAC addresses in the output.

But adding "-o 'nameres.mac_name:TRUE'" or "-Nm" does not help to cause manufacturer name resolution to happen on these mac addresses.

It does work for "-e eth.addr_resolved", but obviously this options concerns other MAC addresses.

Is what I would like to do at all possible, or is that specific use case something that tshark currently does not support?

Thanks.

--
Marco