Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Enhancement suggestion: OUI tool for IPV6 SLAAC addresses

From: "Marco Davids (SIDN)" <marco.davids@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 13:28:36 +0200
Hello,

I have an idea for a new feature in Wireshark and would like to hear your take on it:

In Wireshark, under the 'Ethernet II'-section (when the 'name resolution' preference is set appropriately) the MAC addresses are 'resolved' to manufacturer names. This can be a handy feature.

What about extending this capability to (applicable) IPv6 SLAAC (RFC4862) addresses as well?

Unless some form of privacy enhancement was used (like RFC4941), quite a few SLAAC IPv6 addresses contain an RFC4291 interface identifier, that can easily be reversed into a MAC-address, which in turn can be used to discover manufacturer names. As such, these IPv6 addresses contain useful debugging information and it would be great is Wireshark can easily display a manufacturer to the IPv6 address in question, especially in the 'statistics endpoints' overview.

I realize that for privacy reasons a majority of IPv6 addresses is generated differently nowadays and can't be used this way, but some preliminary testing showed that there are still quite a few addresses that can.

Examples:

2001:db8::86c7:eaff:fe1e:fe46 would resolve to 'Sony Corporation'
2001:db8::de91:bfff:fec5:4f66 to 'Amazon Technologies Inc.'
2001:db8::215:5dff:fe01:b446 to 'Microsoft Corporation'
2001:db8::201:c0ff:fe06:3552 to 'CompuLab, Ltd.'
2001:db8::be05:43ff:fefb:281f to 'AVM GmbH'
etc.

Looking a bit closer to the last example:

Address:		2001:db8::be05:43ff:fefb:281f
translates into:	bc:05:43:fb:28:1f
is:			'AVM GmbH'

That's a well-known vendor of Fritz!Box and related products.

So, If I would be debugging traffic from 2001:db8::be05:43ff:fefb:281f, reaching me from a few hops away on the internet, in this particular case I could assume it was some sort of AVM product I'm dealing with.

Let me know what you think and if you deem this feasible.

Cheers,

--
Marco