Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Preferring EditorConfig over modelines

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 16:20:50 -0800
I updated the Developer's Guide and README.developer to recommend enabling EditorConfig in your editor or IDE with an eye toward getting rid of "Editor modelines" blocks as discussed in issue 17253[1]. They both do the same job, but EditorConfig is supported by more editors/IDEs, is more of a standard, and doesn't require adding extra stuff to each individual source file.

I don't plan on stripping out all of the modeline blocks any time soon, but I might remove them from ui/qt as an experiment. Qt Creator doesn't support modelines, so they're kind of superfluous there.

Note that I'm carefully avoiding the questions "Should we use the same indentation everywhwere?" and "Should we enforce a particular coding style, e.g. by using clang-format?", but we can discuss those too.

[1]https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/issues/17253