Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Several small commits vs. one big

From: Tomasz Moń <desowin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 08:37:20 +0200
On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 10:34 PM Thomas Wiens <th.wiens@xxxxxx> wrote:
> If I split this, I hope there won't be a version in between which fails
> to dissect all possible data without error.
> As all my tests were done on the finished version.
> Or is there an option to mark the single commits as consecutive patches?

My general experience with splitting big changes into small commits
*after* they are done is rather bad. That is, the artificially
splitted changes I have seen were failing to work (sometimes even fail
to compile individually). As I find such artificial splitting to be
harder than the actual development, I always tend to commit as small
pieces of code I see fit for a single commit.

If you have commited the changes as you went with development, then
*do not* squash them into single one. Submitting them with single git
push will group them in gerrit - maybe not as clearly as I'd like, but
good enough to keep track of them.