Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GUI testing

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:39:22 +0100
Hi Dario

We do extensive UI testing, but this has some flaws:

Basically, as it works, X/Y positioning does not work across plattforms at all or even on Windows particularly good. ToolKits like Ranorex use the internal UI registration to select object names for each element and use that as hotspot for performing actions. The difference is, that changes in the UI (minor ones like increasing the border of a table cell by 1) don't lead to broken UI tests, but the caveat is here a major offset in developing the tests (usually those have to be "programmed" somehow as well).

I don't think headless testing will work Windows based, but I could assume, that it might work X11 or Wayland based.

CI based is 90% redundant because we already do something like that with tshark and the fuzzy tests. Doing it in a UI would need to be special just for features behaving differently when displaying with the Qt interface, and for now, I can't think of anything that would match that special case. If there is something, I'd rather investigate on how to trigger that with tshark as well.

That being said, I am all for it, but feature testing is a never ending story, and to be quite honest, I would give unittesting the Qt framework and creating a Qt unittest framework first, a higher priority.

kind regards
Roland