Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Sometimes SLL/Linux cooked-mode capture is decoded and sometimes

From: Michael Lum <michael.lum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 14:31:48 -0700
Hi,

I've attached two captures with a single packet in each.

They are both supposed to be syslog events injected into the capture with SLL (Linux cooked capture).

On one everthing is decoded as expected in the other with the same first 16 octets it is detected as
Ethernet II only.

I cannot figure out why they are not both decoded as SLL/Linux cooked-mode captures.

I'm running on Windows 7 using Wireshark 2.6.1.
The capture was taken on a CentOs 7 box by a tool injecting the "fake" syslog message.

BR,

Michael

Michael Lum (michael.lum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) | STAR SOLUTIONS | Principal Software Engineer
4600 Jacombs Road, Richmond BC, Canada V6V 3B1 | +1.604.303.2315