Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] git question

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 14:47:17 -0800
On Dec 2, 2017, at 2:23 PM, e-mail graham.shanks via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After submitting some changes to git review and getting them accepted I get the following message when I do a git status:
>
> C:\Development\wireshark>git status
> On branch master
> Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 3 commits.
> (use "git push" to publish your local commits)
> nothing to commit, working tree clean
>
> A search on this message suggests that I need to do a git pull --rebase, but the documentation suggests that this will synchronise with the remote repository (which is what I want to do) but then try to apply the commits (which I don't want to do, I think). The git documentation on rebase doesn't seem to cover what I think the wireshark repository is doing.
>
> Is git pull --rebase the correct thing to do?

What I do is:

	git commit my changes;

	git review;

and, once the changes are accepted (by me or by somebody else):

	git pull

	git rebase, and just say "go ahead and merge".

This works fine for me.

> Also did I do something wrong to get into this state?

You believed that Git's model of the world is simple and that it's straightforward to use:

	http://devluchadore.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/there-are-over-2-million-search-results-when-you-google-git-sucks-because-git-sucks/

	https://stevebennett.me/2012/02/24/10-things-i-hate-about-git/

	http://jheriko-rtw.blogspot.com/2013/11/why-i-hate-git.html

	http://amplicate.com/hate/git