Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark User's Guide for wireshark 2.4.2 impossible to fin

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 17:50:13 +0100

On 12-10-2017 06:09, Somchai Smythe wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to get a copy of Wireshark User's Guide for Wireshark
2.4.2, but when I follow the links on the web site I always get some
'For Wireshark 2.5' no matter how many times I hit refresh, disable my
cache, etc.  I went for the PDF, but in desperation I tried the .chm
and it has the same problem.

Where can I get a Wireshark User's Guide for Wireshark 2.4.2, since
2.5 isn't even out yet?  Do I have to clone some git and build it
myself?  I'm OK with that if it can be generated on linux, but I'd
need a pointer to some kind of 'how to build it' guide.  It's

Yes, currently the user guide is not built (nor installed) by default on Linux. You'll have to build it yourself, from a tarball for example (docbook/README.txt).

FWIW I agree the Help link should not point to a different version.

confusing to get 2.4.2 application but the documentation is for some
unreleased version, so I have very low confidence in the documentation
since it probably uses 2.5 features that aren't even in 2.4.2.  Using
the application is already complicated, and I don't want to make the
learning curve even harder with  problems that come from using the
wrong documentation.

Thanks