Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark User's Guide for wireshark 2.4.2 impossible to fin

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 15:38:21 +0100

On 12 October 2017 at 06:09, Somchai Smythe <buraphalinuxserver@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to get a copy of Wireshark User's Guide for Wireshark
2.4.2, but when I follow the links on the web site I always get some
'For Wireshark 2.5' no matter how many times I hit refresh, disable my
cache, etc.  I went for the PDF, but in desperation I tried the .chm
and it has the same problem.

Where can I get a Wireshark User's Guide for Wireshark 2.4.2, since
2.5 isn't even out yet?  Do I have to clone some git and build it
myself?  I'm OK with that if it can be generated on linux, but I'd
need a pointer to some kind of 'how to build it' guide.  It's
confusing to get 2.4.2 application but the documentation is for some
unreleased version, so I have very low confidence in the documentation
since it probably uses 2.5 features that aren't even in 2.4.2.  Using
the application is already complicated, and I don't want to make the
learning curve even harder with  problems that come from using the
wrong documentation.

Currently the project only provides web links for the latest built user guide which as you've noted is marked for the development release (2.5).

Windows installs provide a user-guide.chm file for the current version, I'm not sure what Linux distributions provide.

However, the User's Guide is invariably running behind the actual software so it's far more likely that it doesn't have new features in it and actually is in desperate need for an update for the new Qt UI.

--
Graham Bloice