Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Qt deploy problem when installing Wireshark

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 10:38:30 +0100

On 28 September 2017 at 22:05, John Dill <John.Dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm trying to run a Wireshark installer I build from Qt 5.8.0, 32-bit, for Wireshark 2.4.1 on a Windows 10 machine with Visual Studio 2015.  It runs fine when I execute run\RelWithDebInfo\Wireshark.exe on my local computer.  The installer needs to run on Vista 32-bit (lab computer) and the installer works fine, but afterwards the Wireshark application would not start due to missing DLLs.

I think you're going to be out of luck here.

According to the Qt supported platforms page [1], Vista isn't supported for Qt 5.8.  You have to go back to Qt 5.6 for that, hence the note on the Wireshark lifecycle page that 2.2 is the last version to support Vista as that is built with Qt 5.6

First, I had to install the VS 2015 redistributable to fix the msvcp140.dll missing issue.  Now it has another problem that reads

The application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt

platform plugin "windows"

in ""

Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

The Vista computer doesn't have Qt installed on it.  I copied the Wireshark.exe from a wsbuild32 directory containing run\RelWithDebInfo\Wireshark.exe into a deploy32 folder and ran the x86 version of windeployqt.exe.

C:\Qt\Qt5.8.0_x86\5.8\msvc2015\bin\windeployqt.exe Wireshark.exe

It copied a lot of files into deploy32 but I'm not sure where these files are supposed to be deployed on the Vista machine.  Can someone let me know what to do from here, or if I'm off track?

Thanks,

John D.