Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Novice: Where do I place my own C dissector in Visual Studio

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 16:55:07 +0200
Hi Christopher,

By following the instructions in the Wireshark Developer’s Guide Under Section 2.2. Win32/64: Step-by-Step Guide, I have been able to create and run Wireshark in Visual Studio 2015. I can load a capture file.

Question: If I want to create my own dissector dot c file where do I put the dissector file? Is it as simple as putting my new file in a specific folder and rebuilding the solution? What are the steps to do this? Do I have to create other files to accompany my dot c file.

I have attached images showing what I see when I open Visual Studio 2015.

Reference:

Wireshark Developer's Guide Section 2.2 Win32/64: Step-by-Step Guide

Short answer: edit the epan/dissectors/CMakeLists.txt file and reexecute CMake.
Long answer: on top of the developer's guide, you should read the documentation for in the doc folder of your source tree. In particular README.developer and README.dissector give plenty of information, including a description of the files to be modified to include a new dissector.

Best regards,
Pascal.