Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Novice: Where do I place my own C dissector in Visual Studio

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:56:54 +0100

On 20 September 2017 at 16:42, <Christopher.Lusardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

By following the instructions in the Wireshark Developer’s Guide Under Section 2.2. Win32/64: Step-by-Step Guide, I have been able to create and run Wireshark in Visual Studio 2015. I can load a capture file.

Question: If I want to create my own dissector dot c file where do I put the dissector file? Is it as simple as putting my new file in a specific folder and rebuilding the solution? What are the steps to do this? Do I have to create other files to accompany my dot c file.

I have attached images showing what I see when I open Visual Studio 2015.

Reference:

Wireshark Developer's Guide Section 2.2 Win32/64: Step-by-Step Guide

Christopher Lusardi

Engility Corporation

43880 Commerce Avenue

Hollywood, MD 20636

301-373-9340 Ext.290

The Developers Guide Section 9.2 discusses building a dissector as a plugin, doc\README.dissector discusses the changes needed for a "built-in" dissector.

Note that on Windows, you should modify CMakeLists.txt and regenerate the Visual Studio solution, not modify the solution directly in the IDE.

--
Graham Bloice