Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Remove our bundled crypto library (in favor of Libgcrypt)?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 14:10:04 -0800
On Feb 11, 2017, at 1:57 PM, Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> +1 for going without a new layer of indirections.
> Making libgcrypt mandatory is easy and every level of indirection make
> understanding the code harder which is a source of bugs.

+1

Enough places in Wireshark use it, and there will probably be, over time, 1) more encryption in protocols and 2) more calls for Wireshark to do decryption whenever possible, so I consider it worthy of deeming an essential support library for packet analysis.

If you want a small tool to run on devices, put a *capture* tool there and do the *analysis* on something big enough to do the job.