Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Remove our bundled crypto library (in favor of Libgcrypt)?
From: Ed Beroset <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 18:55:42 -0500
Bálint Réczey wrote:
+1 for going without a new layer of indirections.
Making libgcrypt mandatory is easy and every level of indirection make
understanding the code harder which is a source of bugs.

If we ever feel dropping libgcrypt necessary we can add the new layer.
FWIW, I heartily agree with this.  While I have no objection to nettle,
I think that adding support for multiple libraries is unlikely to be
worth the effort.
I also seem to recall that the reason QEMU has both is that it relied on
gnutls and it's *that* package that had support for both.  Rather than
linking yet another library, QEMU used to default to whatever had been
selected for gnutls.  The change to allow an explicit choice when
building QEMU is only a year or two old.
Ed