Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RTP player redesign in 2.x makes it worse than the legacy on

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 09:10:35 +0000

On 2 January 2017 at 09:16, Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jirka,

RTP Player is not often use by core team... (but used by a lot of users)...

Patches are welcome :)

As someone who has never used the RTP player, I've often thought it's a bit of a stretch  for a "Packet Analyser" to include the functionality and can't believe that there aren't other applications out thee that can do the job  better than Wireshark.  However I do agree that it would be best to at least maintain what was there in the GTK build, but that does require someone with the requisite skills to step up and maintain it.

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 8:58 PM, Jirka Novak <j.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Peter,

> I admit that this is only my opinion, but as someone who uses the RTP Player
> in Wireshare very regularly in my job, I hope you'll give it some
> consideration:
> The UI of the redesigned RTP Player in Wireshark 2.x *sucks*, and its
> usability is much worse than the old one that's now in Wireshark Legacy. To wit:

  I agree with you and with all your comments and I decided to change it.
  On the other hand, my first task is to unify audio processing code -
same task is coded on multiple places and as consequence you can receive
different output for same input. Therefore it will take a time before I
will change features you mentioned.

                                                Sincerely yours,

                                                        Jirka Novak

--