Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Actualize kafka dissector

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 21:38:59 +0000
On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Dmitry Lazurkin <dilaz03@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello.
>
>> - attaching per-packet kafka info and looking it up all over the place?
> How to working with per-packet data? Which functions i should use for it?

I don't think we should use per-packet info to remember what the
api_version is, but as below just pass it down into called functions.

>> I don't remember how big the protocol changes are, but I
>> wonder how much longer it would take to support api_version 2 than to
>> warn that we don't support it?
> I think this is two independent tasks.
>
> Ok. I understood following:
> - Add array of structs about supported min_version and max_version for
> each request/response. Parse only header for packates with unsupported
> version. Add expert info to unsupported packets.

v2 brings very few changes to fields, I'd rather see it all implemented than
track which methods are not supported or not.

> - Support latest kafka protocol. Better pass api_version to each function.

Yes, I think so.  Once its been passed down into all of the functions
it'll be there
to be used if needed.

> How to test kafka dissector? Catch real kafka session? Randpkt? Unit-tests?

Real captures we care about supporting are the most important.
You could also run through a tutorial such as this one
(https://www.tutorialspoint.com/apache_kafka/apache_kafka_basic_operations.htm)
and capture the traffic.