Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Actualize kafka dissector

From: Dmitry Lazurkin <dilaz03@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 23:50:08 +0300
Sure you may.
Thanks.

Ok, i have some questions.

First questions about supported and unsupported packet versions.
Kafka packets have "API Version" field. I will try to show problem with example. Latest version of kafka server supports Produce Request/Response of version 0, 1, 2. Dissector parses correctly only 0 and 1. For Produce Response it generates incorrect proto tree because this version has new field in middle of packet.

Current version parses incorrectly and doesn't add expert info.

- Should dissector rejects packets with unsupported versions and add export info? - Or should dissector parse incorrectly (or correctly if format was not changed) and always add expert info about "Unsupported version: May be parsed incorrectly"?

I like second solution.