Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Has anyone created an XDR to Dissector tool?

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 10:04:22 -0700
On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 4:41 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2016, at 3:19 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone written a tool that can go from XDR to a dissector?
>>
>> If not, I can give it a try.
>
> One possibility would be to take rpcgen:
>
>         https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/rpcgen/
>
> and modify it to generate dissector source - rpcgen takes a description of an ONC RPC protocol, so it might need to be tweaked to handle XDR without the rest of RPC.

Great, thanks to both Guy and Jaap for their suggestions. I also
looked at PLY (http://www.dabeaz.com/ply/ply.html) but that seems to
involve a fair amount of work and would be similar to the approach I
took with the SMB dissector a long time ago.

I will look at both of those and see which will be easier of the three
approaches I have so far.

Modifying a version of rpcgen has some attraction since it means that
the same tool can be used to generate a Wireshark dissector as is used
to generate the stubs etc.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe