Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Got "Radiotap data goes past the end of the radiotap header"

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 00:39:20 -0700
On Apr 9, 2016, at 12:24 AM, Yang Luo <hsluoyb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have added Radiotap header to Windows. Currently only Flags, Channel and Antenna Signal are supported.
>
> The whole header with Radiotap data is 14 bytes:
> 8 bytes header + 1 byte Flags + 4 bytes Channel + 1 byte Antenna Signal.

It should be

	8 bytes header

	1 byte Flags

	1 byte padding, to put the Channel field on a 2-byte boundary

	4 bytes Channel

	1 byte Antenna signal

for a total of 15 bytes.  See the "Alignment in Radiotap" section of

	http://www.radiotap.org

If you add a Rate field after Flags, however, you *wouldn't* put the padding field there, as the Rate field is also 1 byte long, and there's no need for padding after a 1-byte Flags field and a 1-byte Rate field if a Channel field follows the Rate field.