Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] overriding built-in dissector

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 06:42:32 +0100
As far as I know, overriding a default dissector is not possible, or more precise not necessarily very easy. But what you could do is, to implement a generic heuristic entry point in the dis dissector, which then in turn you could use to let your custom plugin take over the dissection from the dis dissector. Take a look at the eth dissector and the heuristic dissector entry point.

I did it this way in the beginning of the openSAFETY dissector with the epl dissector, and it works just fine.

If you should keep a separate plugin and not implement the same features in the main dis dissector is a different discussion.

regards,
Roland