Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] overriding built-in dissector

From: Alan Partis <alpartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 23:14:17 -0500 (EST)
I need some direction from some folks smarter than me:

I need to understand, and possibly make some customizations to, the DIS
dissector (packet-dis.c).  I understand that I can make those changes and
run the full wireshark build, but that can be a very laborious and
time-consuming task.  Consequently, I'm thinking that I'd like to build
packet-dis.c as a shared library plugin and have wireshark pick up my
customized version and use that instead of the built-in version.

1. is that possible?

2. Can I do the special plugin build of packet-dis.c right from the
./epan/dissectors/ subdirectory where it currently resides?  Or should I
put a copy of it off in my own working directory/sandbox and build it from
there?

And lastly:

3. Is there anywhere I can find clear instructions on how best to achieve
this?  All the plugin dev docs I find go through the very lengthy
discussion of how to write a plugin and use the available API, but at
least for the moment, I am mostly only interested in the build process.

Thanks.

Alan Partis
thundernet development group