Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wonder should recognize VxLAN packet with UDP destination po

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 10:56:49 -0400
On 10/21/15 02:13, Michael wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just want to know if I misunderstood RFC 7348
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7348 ).

According to section 5 � VXLAN Frame Format, it seems just UDP.Dst-Port
must/should be 4789.

But I have checked the code:
[...]
204       dissector_add_uint("udp.port", UDP_PORT_VXLAN, vxlan_handle);
[...]
Should line 204 be updated to �udp.dport�?

Or I miss something I should know.

No, that wouldn't work because Wireshark doesn't have a "udp.dport" dissector table.

The only subdissector table that Wireshark's UDP dissector provides is named "udp.port". This is probably because most protocols involve packets going to/from the same (hopefully/often IANA-registered if not IANA-assigned) port. So packets going /to/ the well-known port are acknowledged with packets going /from/ that same well-known port. Having subdissectors registered for the port (rather than the destination port) means Wireshark can decode those responses correctly too.