Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] asn2wrs documentation?

From: Kukosa Tomáš <Tomas.Kukosa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 10:37:31 +0000
Hi Peter,

 >> Another possibility would be to define own dissector function for the
>> RSAPublicKey fields instead of calling default dissect_ber_integer().
>> E.g. something like this:
>>
>> #.FN_BODY  RSAPublicKey/modulus
>>     gint8 ber_class;
>>     gboolean pc, ind;
>>     gint32 tag;
>>     guint32 len;
>>
>>     offset = dissect_ber_identifier(actx->pinfo, tree, tvb, offset,
>> &ber_class, &pc, &tag);
>>     offset = dissect_ber_length(actx->pinfo, tree, tvb, offset, &len, &ind);
>>    /* integer octets are at the offset */
>>     offset += len;
>> #.END
>
> Yes, this is something I will use, thanks! For integers I think that the
> "ind" part is not needed (can be NULL) as integers are not using the
> indefinite length encoding?

Yes, as the INTEGER can be neither composite not indefinite the 'pc' and
'ind' variables are not necesary.

>> There is not better asn2wrs document available. The best documentation
>> are examples in the asn1 directory.
>
> Those examples unfortunately have no explanation either. For example,
> there is a FIELD_ATTR member that is used in some places, how does it
> differ from TYPE_ATTR? Any idea what the IMPORT_TAG is used for (it is
> only used in one place)?

The #.TYPE_ATTR changes attributes for the type, i.e. for all fields of
that type and the #.FIELD_ATTR changes attributes just for one field.

The #.IMPORT_TAG directive is primarily used when some type exported
from one ASN.1 module (protoA) is imported in another one (protoB).
Those directives are generated into protoA-exp.cnf and then included
into protoB.cnf using the #.INCLUDE directive.
The #.IMPORT_TAG directive contains information about ASN.1 BER tag
which is necessary to distinguish the exported type in the module
importing it.