Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] asn2wrs documentation?

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:49:30 +0200
Hi Tomáš,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 02:29:02PM +0000, Kukosa Tomáš wrote:
> Unfortunately asn2wrs can not help with it.
> Changing  TYPE_ATTR does not change called dissection function. It
> changes just field type.
> The field ber.64bit_uint_as_bytes comes from function
> dissect_ber_integer64() of packet-ber.c.
>
> Maybe the dissect_ber_integer64() should check whether the field has the
> FT_BYTES type and then it could use the original field instead of the
> ber.64bit_uint_as_bytes.

This is done now since yesterday
(https://code.wireshark.org/review/10539), now it suffices to use this
for INTEGER types:

    #.TYPE_ATTR
    RSAPublicKey/modulus TYPE = FT_BYTES  DISPLAY = BASE_NONE

> Another possibility would be to define own dissector function for the
> RSAPublicKey fields instead of calling default dissect_ber_integer().
> E.g. something like this:
>
> #.FN_BODY  RSAPublicKey/modulus
>    gint8 ber_class;
>    gboolean pc, ind;
>    gint32 tag;
>    guint32 len;
>
>    offset = dissect_ber_identifier(actx->pinfo, tree, tvb, offset,
> &ber_class, &pc, &tag);
>    offset = dissect_ber_length(actx->pinfo, tree, tvb, offset, &len, &ind);
>   /* integer octets are at the offset */
>    offset += len;
> #.END

Yes, this is something I will use, thanks! For integers I think that the
"ind" part is not needed (can be NULL) as integers are not using the
indefinite length encoding?

> There is not better asn2wrs document available. The best documentation
> are examples in the asn1 directory.

Those examples unfortunately have no explanation either. For example,
there is a FIELD_ATTR member that is used in some places, how does it
differ from TYPE_ATTR? Any idea what the IMPORT_TAG is used for (it is
only used in one place)?

Thanks,
Peter