Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Remove duplication for resolved addresses

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:43:51 -0700
On Sep 10, 2015, at 1:33 PM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Perhaps the default packet detail output should be oriented towards being read by humans, with the output of -T psml, -T ldml, and -T fields being what you use if you want it to be read by software?
>
> A very valid argument ! :)

Yeah, sometimes the "output of one program should be suitable as input to another program" part of the UNIX philosophy can result in programs having one form of output that's readable enough by humans to be a pain for programs to parse and readable enough by programs to be missing useful information for humans, so having one form of output for humans and another form of output for programs is the right way to go.