Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] MSVC 2015 (VC14) notes/issue

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 18:18:54 +0100
On 12 August 2015 at 17:57, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Le 12 août 2015 6:21 PM, "Bill Meier" <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> [Resend]
>
> I see that several people (Anders, ...) been building with MSVC-2015 (VC14) and have fixed a number of issues.
>
> So: I decided to download VC14 and give it a try (using NMake).
>
> A few questions:
>
> Are you using CMake or NMake ?
>
> If using NMake, I assume that you've updated config.nmake & etc. Is there some reason you've not committed the changes ?
>
> If not, I've made what I think are the required changes for NMake. Do you think it's Ok to commit them ?
>

> Have you been able to do a complete build ?
>
> So far:
>
> 1. Compiling packet-pdc.c gets:
>
> [...]\packet-pdc.c(205) : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
> (compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 246)
>  To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
> Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
>  Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
>
> INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\cl.exe'
>     Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
>     Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
>
> I've figured out what to change to fix this.
> (I've also extracted a much smaller test file which causes the error and will submit the file to Microsoft).
>

> 2. I had to disable building with geoip because:
>
> C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.10150.0\ucrt\stdio.h(1925): warning C4005: 'snprintf': macro redefinition (compiling source file packet-
> ip.c)
> [...]\GeoIP-1.5.1-2-win32ws\include\GeoIP.h(36): note: see previous definition of 'snprintf' (compili
> ng source file packet-ip.c)
> C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.10150.0\ucrt\stdio.h(1927): fatal error C1189: #error:  Macro definition of snprintf conflicts with Stan
> dard Library function declaration (compiling source file packet-ip.c)
>

> 3. I disabled building with LUA because there's apparently yet no LUA library (dll) for use with VC14.

I might have a look at it when coming back from vacation if the packager I used last time did not update the library (I have no reliable Internet access right now, yes this is still possible nowadays :)). But I was not in a hurry as there is no Qt package compiled with MSVC2015 yet, so we still have a strong dependency on MSVC2013.

Pascal.

FYI Windows CMake doesn't currently seem to configure without Qt, I'm not too fussed about that as on Windows the Qt version is the main build.

The QT folks had previously indicated VS2015 support would be released as a 5.5.x release so it's likely not too far off: https://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/04/29/windows-10-support-in-qt/

Enjoying your vacation in the mountains Pascal?

--
Graham Bloice