Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Latest build modifies files?

From: Martin Kaiser <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 01:21:32 +0100
Thus wrote Guy Harris (guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx):

> On Mar 7, 2015, at 12:59 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hi folks,

> > After my most recent build I noticed this:

> > # On branch master
> > # Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 1 commit.
> > #   (use "git push" to publish your local commits)
> > #
> > # Changes not staged for commit:
> > #   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> > #   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
> > #
> > # modified:   ui/qt/wireshark_de.qm
> > # modified:   ui/qt/wireshark_it.qm
> > # modified:   ui/qt/wireshark_ja_JP.qm
> > # modified:   ui/qt/wireshark_pl.qm
> > # modified:   ui/qt/wireshark_zh_CN.qm
> > #

> > I did not touch those files and it seems a bit rude of the build to modify them.

> That was done in

> 	https://code.wireshark.org/review/7460/

> and I've already added a comment there noting that either we should
> *not* have the .qm files checked into Git and *require* that you have
> the tools necessary to build them if you're going to build from Git or
> have them checked into Git and *not* build them as part of the build
> process.

The goal is to build the .qm files during the compilation and eventually
remove them from the repository. This works now for autotools and cmake
builds, I do not know about the status for nmake and sent the following
mail to the list earlier today (which did not get relayed for some
reason).

------------------------

Dear all,

I just pushed a change to create the .qm files for Qt's translated texts
from the corresponding .ts files. My change handles the autotools build.
I saw that the cmake build already support this.

Does anyone know if the Windows nmake build creates the .qm files? I
can't test this myself at the moment, it seems that nmake uses qmake in
the qt directory.

When the nmake build can create the .qt files, we can remove them from
the repository.

Another open item is what to do if the lrelease tool that creates the
.qm files is not available. Should we fail the build if the Qt version
is to be built? Or can we continue without the .qm files and without
multi-language support?

Thanks,
Martin