Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] False positive from the new "Look for incomplete dissectors"

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:15:04 -0500
On 02/13/15 04:14, Anders Broman wrote:

<mailto:a.broman58@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

 >> I suspected as much, but I think all the sip lines skip the CRLF...
 >>

 > What about adding the skipped bytes as hidden, labeled as "unused
bytes"?

First thought is, unnecessary processing to satisfy this new
functionality, which frankly I have my doubts about...

I have to admit that I like being able to click on a byte and see what field it maps to. From that perspective I like when padding is claimed by the dissector which knew it was padding. And when CR+NL are claimed by the item which they terminate.

If this functionality encourages dissectors to claim all the bytes used by their protocol that is, in my opinion, a good thing.