Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Conflicts: field in commit messages

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 10:29:46 -0700
On Oct 7, 2014, at 1:12 AM, Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You miss one thing - cherry-pick with conflicts is not the same that
> original commit.

That's what "with manual intervention" is for, as per my earlier message.

> It may build and work in 99% cases of original use,
> but may file because one conflicts can be "not correctly" resolved.

Presumably "fail" means "fail at run time" rather than "fail to build".

When I see "Conflicts:" in a commit message, it reads to *me* as if either

	1) somebody forgot to resolve the conflicts and is committing the broken result

or

	2) somebody resolved the conflicts but forgot to edit the commit message.