Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] docbook Makefile.nmake query

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 18:27:23 -0400
On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2014, at 3:10 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> docbook/Makefile.nmake was copied from docbook/Makefile.am in g7e4b82a.
>> It looks like the chmods were added in g7d7a541, perhaps to make sure
>> the directories are suitable for distribution? They should probably be
>> removed from Makefile.nmake.
>
>         $ git show g7d7a541
>         fatal: ambiguous argument 'g7d7a541': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
>
> What is wrong with the command in question? (Other than "The first token is 'git'." :-))

"g" is used to prefix commits in common usage to distinguish them from
non-git-related-SHAs (and to make life easier for automated-tool
authors like Gerald writing the bugzilla/gerrit auto-linking regexes),
but it isn't recognized by git (which is one of those trivial
annoyances) so you have to remember to strip it, and do "git show
7d7a541".

Evan