Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can we move to Lua 5.2.3 only?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:07:56 -0400
On 03/31/14 18:18, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

On Mar 31, 2014, at 2:05 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do you mean Wireshark would no longer compile/run if the Lua version was < 5.2?

Yes, that would be the ultimate goal.  That way someone writing a Lua script and wants to share it with others doesn't have to worry about whether it will work for others or not. Lua 5.2 includes new built-in functions and lexical tokens that 5.1 did not, so writing one with 5.2 might not work if someone else uses 5.1.

And of course it would be nice to get rid of the C-code that has to deal with both as well, and not have to test on both.

Makes sense...

In that case I'd vote no: Redhat EL 6 comes with 5.1.4 and it probably has a long lifetime ahead of it.

How hard/painful would it be to install Lua 5.2.x? (I don't know the answer - just asking)
It's a tiny little library compared to most of Wireshark's others, fwiw.

Probably not too hard--I know Lua's small. But most users (who just do "yum install lua") won't get it so we'll be losing Lua for 99% of the RHEL6 users.

Maybe it's not that big a deal but it's worth some thought...