Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can we move to Lua 5.2.3 only?

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 19:03:36 -0400
On Apr 2, 2014, at 6:07 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> In that case I'd vote no: Redhat EL 6 comes with 5.1.4 and it probably has a long lifetime ahead of it.
>>
>> How hard/painful would it be to install Lua 5.2.x? (I don't know the answer - just asking)
>> It's a tiny little library compared to most of Wireshark's others, fwiw.
>
> Probably not too hard--I know Lua's small.  But most users (who just do "yum install lua") won't get it so we'll be losing Lua for 99% of the RHEL6 users.
>
> Maybe it's not that big a deal but it's worth some thought…

Sadly, I know nothing about yum and RHEL6 other than as being an occasional user of it. It looks like there are plenty of yum repositories with Lua 5.2.x, but not for RHEL6. How does one go about requesting an upgrade of that - enter a ticket in Redhat as customer? (is that like crazy wishful thinking? I don’t know anything about their policies for such things)

Alternatively, if you’re running RHEL6, can you try this:
curl -R -O http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.2.3.tar.gz
# or 'wget http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.2.3.tar.gz' instead
tar zxf lua-5.2.3.tar.gz
cd lua-5.2.3
make linux test

If that works (and it should in theory), maybe it won’t be too painful to just add that to the install instructions or even write up a simple script to do it?

(...just trying to think of a solution...)

-hadriel