Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] How to dissect TCP stream which emits multiple packets

From: Andrew Rukavishnikov <andrew.rukavishnikov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:24:22 +0200
Hi,

I'am writing dissector for protocol over TCP stream which can emit more than one packet per real TCP frame. For example lets assume that we have ethernet tunnel over TCP stream, and one TCP frame of length 15000 bytes (assume the capture with TSO on) can contain five or ten embedded ethernet packets. So I can successfully dissect this stream, can write info about each packet to frame tree. But it is not possible to indicate such packet in frame list. And another case when I try to sub dissect emitted packets by ethernet dissector the system goes crazy and breaks TCP reassemble functionality.

What is a proper way to write such dissector? How can I indicate new frames to frame list? How not to break TCP reassemble functionality when subdissecting nested packets?

The best approach I have found is to dump the emitted packets to another pcap file on dissection and then load it to wireshark. But this is a hard way.

Best regards,
--
Andrew Rukavishnikov