Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Python bindings for wireshark

From: Lukas Lueg <lukas.lueg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:42:24 +0100
Hi,

given the dark abyss that packet dissection libraries available to Python are, I've just started a library to make the code beneath Wireshark's GUI available to Python. Wirepy is a foreign function interface to use Wireshark within Python as implemented by CPython and PyPy.

Working with dumpcap, wiretap, dissection of packets to protocol-trees and columns is usable but most of the more fine-grained functionality is not yet implemented. Also, a more pythonic API needs to be created atop the FFI.

While valgrind shows that about 35% of cpu time is spent in the Python interpreter, a single of my laptop's cores can handle about 100mbit of traffic per second - not bad.

The code just matured to it's own git repo and now lives at https://github.com/lukaslueg/wirepy

I'd be grateful for comments, passing the word, and contributions.

Best regards
Lukas