Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Licensing of tools/html2text.py

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 21:24:30 +0100
On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 10:11:02AM -0500, Evan Huus wrote:
> It appears to be licensed under GPLv3 only, which makes it
> incompatible for us to include.
>
> It seems to be included only because links/lynx didn't appear to work
> a while ago when building under WIndows. If that is no longer true
> then I think we can just remove it with no loss of functionality?
>
> Other suggestions, alternatives, etc welcome of course.

If I understand it correctly, this tool is only used during the build
process. As long as it doesn't effect the license of its output and is
not installed as part of the binary package, I don't see a problem in using
it during the build process or including it in the source distribution.
We have to make sure its license is correctly mentioned in our COPYING
file.

 ciao
    jörg