Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 1.11.0 release

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:29:27 -0400
On 10/09/13 09:15, Bálint Réczey wrote:
Hi Guy,

2013/10/9 Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I think nowadays almost no one builds Wireshark for their own (apart
from Developers) and those who do can easily
install the tools for it.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that statement. I've seen (questions from) plenty of folks using Redhat EL/CentOS who compile their own Wireshark because what comes from the vendor is too old.

Maybe things have improved in the Solaris world but last time I tried using a package system I gave up and went back to compiling my own. The package system was pulling in too much junk I didn't want/need, it often just plain didn't work, and after all that the Wireshark package was still too old.

Of course things are relative: if you compare the hundreds of thousands of downloads a month of the Windows installers against those who compile their own, yes, "almost no one" compiles their own. ;-) But I suspect among non-Linux *NIX users there are a fair number who still compile their own.