Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark PIDL generated dissectors

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 22:19:51 +0200
On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:29:50AM -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> For me there is only one pidl and it's in the samba repository. Then
> we have a 2 big use case:
>
> * Samba
> * Wireshark
>
> By the way I take the chance of this thread to underline that it's
> very hard to get the attention of the wireshark developpers to
> actually push patches (much harder than the Samba actually ...).

Which bugnumber(s) are still open?

> By the way it would be nice if other dev in wireshark understand the
> term "autogenerated" because I spotted  on the
> packet-dcerpc-frsrpc.c not less than 5 manual changes since the last
> time ronnie pushed the last version of the regenerated file:

It works quite fine with asn2wrs generated, because that generator
is in a maintained state, while it's hard to maintain the pidl dissector
in Wireshark: While samba was still maintained via svn, I used to
(every few weeks or months) sync the samba changes into Wireshark,
including the commit history. As I didn't have the disk space at that
time to keep a copy of the samba repo, I stopped doing that.

I'd like to have a current and working pidl generator in the Wireshark
sources again.

Ciao
     Jörg

PS: One thing I'd like to have is to have a comment with the command
    line used to generate the dissector like we do with asn2wrs.