Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark PIDL generated dissectors

From: Matthieu Patou <mat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 00:13:03 -0700
On 10/06/2013 01:19 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:29:50AM -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
For me there is only one pidl and it's in the samba repository. Then
we have a 2 big use case:

* Samba
* Wireshark

By the way I take the chance of this thread to underline that it's
very hard to get the attention of the wireshark developpers to
actually push patches (much harder than the Samba actually ...).
Which bugnumber(s) are still open?

By the way it would be nice if other dev in wireshark understand the
term "autogenerated" because I spotted  on the
packet-dcerpc-frsrpc.c not less than 5 manual changes since the last
time ronnie pushed the last version of the regenerated file:
It works quite fine with asn2wrs generated, because that generator
is in a maintained state, while it's hard to maintain the pidl dissector
in Wireshark: While samba was still maintained via svn,
Sorry this is not an excuse I mean you can complain that it's hard to run pidl but if a file is autogenerated with a big fat warning at the top you don't modify it by hand. I would have understood if for the previous changes the dev have asked us and we would have remained silent that they decided to do the manual modification but here it looks more like a bit of lazyness sure doing the right fix is more complicated but in the long run it's a big win for everybody.
  I used to
(every few weeks or months) sync the samba changes into Wireshark,
including the commit history. As I didn't have the disk space at that
time to keep a copy of the samba repo, I stopped doing that.

I'd like to have a current and working pidl generator in the Wireshark
sources again.
As I said in another thread:

"We might have some work to do to insure that the regenerating the files for wireshark is as simple as checking out the samba-tree and running the pidl command. "

Also maybe it would be nice that I can modify the page http://wiki.wireshark.org/Pidl to have a simple guide there too, this page is way too complicated and ihmo not completely accurate.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou