Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Trunk issues with GTK-3.10?

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 10:55:57 +0200
Hi David,

2013/10/3 David Arnold <davida@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm seeing some issues compiling trunk against Gtk-3.10.  Specifically, the GTK_STOCK_* icon macros and GtkAction type have now been deprecated, and their headers moved to the "deprecated" subdirectory.
>
> Should I be moving to Qt?  Or back to GTK2?  I'm mostly interested in developing dissectors, so I don't really care what the UI toolkit is, so long as it compiles and runs and I can test my stuff.
>
> Or should I look at getting together some patches for this?
It would be nice to look into fixing it. On platforms other than
Windows and OS X Gtk 3 works nicely, and it is fully functional on
Windows and OS X, too, it is just not as nice as native applications
AFAIK.

The Qt version is not feature complete thus you may not be able to
test all your changes if you switch now, but Gerald is very dedicated
to deliver a fully functional Qt GUI next year with the next major
release.

Switching back to GTK 2 would work AFAIK, but note that the official
Debian (and Ubuntu) packages have already switched to GTK 3 and I have
no intention to switch back which makes GTK 3 the most possible way
forward on those platform.

Cheers,
Balint