Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Gently migrating to Git + Gerrit

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:16:31 -0700
On Aug 8, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Similarly on Mac, it would be nice if the macosx-setup.sh script could
> as much as possible be replaced with a set of homebrew packages (or
> some other equivalent).

On OS X and Windows, it would be nice if people doing Wireshark development were not required to install a third-party package manager, but I might be willing to put up with it.

(On OS X and Windows, it would be unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned, to require people to install a third-party package manager in order to *use* Wireshark, so presumably we'll still be *bundling* third-party packages ourselves in the distributed versions.

In addition, on OS X, whatever third-party packages we use should be built against the SDK for the earliest release we're targeting, rather than built against whatever version of the OS happens to be running on the build machine; once we switch away from using X11 on OS X, many of the "you said this was for 10.6 and later but it crashes on my 10.6.x machine, saying that the libraries are too old" will go away, as a lot of that is due to an unfortunate combination of the libtool rules for library versioning, the way those rules are implemented on OS X, and OS X's library versioning scheme, but I still don't want to see that particular problem pop up again.)