Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Notes from Sharkfest '13

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:58:23 -0700

On 06/20/2013 02:17 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:
> The following subjects came up during developer discussions at Sharkfest
> this year:

[...]

> Git (cue ominous music). I managed to install SubGit (a bidirectional Git ↔
> SVN gateway) a few months ago. It seems very nice but I wasn't crazy about
> the idea of managing our current repository count times two. I think we
> should just switch over to Git in the near term but I'd like to hear
> everyone's opinion on this. If you would be severly impacted by moving to
> Git please respond to the list or let me know privately. Otherwise I'll
> start planning the switch for later this summer.
>
> Moving to Github. Assuming we switch to Git it would be possible to host
> the official repository at Github.
>
> Advantates: - I'm not sure that an in-house equivalent (e.g. Gerrit plus a
> private repository) would be better than what Github offers.

Yes, Gerrit is better than github:

http://julien.danjou.info/blog/2013/rant-about-github-pull-request-workflow-implementation

An additional argument for Gerrit which is not in Danjou's rant is that
Gerrit's way of doing things helps with bisection:  Because rebasing is a PITA
in github, pull-requests are fixed (e.g. after a peer review) by adding more
commits on top of the existing commits, which is bad for bisecting, as all the
broken commits are still visible in the history.  On the other hand Gerrit
help having a very clean history, very close to what is achieved in the Linux
kernel by using git send-email.

Bonus: The integration with Jenkins for automatic build when a patchset is
uploaded for review.

> - It would be less for me to worry about / manage.
>
> Disadvantages: - This would mean transitioning to an different workflow.

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org