Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Fileshark (AKA Dissecting Files with Wireshark)

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:57:39 -0700
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've written some tools to read various file formats, and what I have
> learned from this is that it's really most useful to create:
>
> 1. a generic library for reading a file format.
> 2. an application dissector (i.e, a FileShark dissector) for using the
> generic library, and providing the API that the application (FileShark)
> wnats.
> 3. And on top of that, FileShark itself.
>
> This is good so that other programs besides FileShark can make use of the
> generic libraries.

I think this is the wrong way to approach the problem. To draw a
parallel, there's a reason we don't just link a normal TCP stack into
Wireshark. The goal is to be able to display the raw structure of the
file/packets, which is sometimes quite different from the values that
an application reading the file/packets is going to care about.

> This is different from how we did wiretap, in which the logic for dissecting
> a packet capture is embedded directly in the wiretap module. If another
> application wanted to decode packet captures, it would have to link against
> wiretap, and use its APIs.

Wiretap is a library for reading packet file formats, which is
basically step 1 of your proposal. I'm not entirely clear on what in
your proposal is different, or why it makes sense to do this.

> This would mean we might spawn some new projects that read the file formats,
> and those would be separate from FileShark itself. But, that's more
> generally useful.

If we're going to be decoding a file in Fileshark, there's almost
certainly already a library to read/write it for applications, as
otherwise there would be no files for us to decode.

> Taking this a step further, maybe it's time to "harden" the APIs of the
> various modules of Wireshark, and also break apart Wireshark. wiretap could
> be removed entirely out of the Wireshark source base, and put into its own
> SCM repo and released independently.

I would be very happy to make proper libraries out of wiretap,
dfilter, epan, etc (and I designed wmem with this in mind). I suspect
splitting them out into multiple repositories is just making work at
this point, but if there's interest once they're usable stand-alone
then it might make sense to reconsider.

Evan