Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Filebacked-tvbuffs : GSoC'13
From: Anders Broman <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 08:07:10 +0200
Guy Harris skrev 2013-05-11 19:45:
On May 11, 2013, at 7:28 AM, Ambarisha B <[email protected]> wrote:

I was trying to move the reassembled data from the reassembled_table to frame_data.
If the pointer to the reassembled data is  stored in the per_packet_data
in frame_data the memory usage should work out to be the same or a bit
less as the reassembled hash table wouldn't be needed, right?
Moving stuff to frame_data is something that should only be done as a last resort if it's being done as part of a project to reduce memory usage. :-)

*Every packet in a capture* has a frame_data structure and, at least in one test, the memory for frame_data structures was a significant contributor to Wireshark's memory usage; overall, we want to make that structure *smaller*, not *bigger.

The key to the reassembled_table is (framenum, ID). I am not able to figure out what ID is for. In a capture file, frame number itself would be unique, wouldn't it?
There can be more than one higher-level packet inside a frame (just as a higher-level packet can require more than one lower-level frame), so, no, the frame number is not necessarily unique.